Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A couple of sketches

I thought I'd share a couple of simple drawings I've reproduced. These are sketches Van Gogh drew in 1885. I drew the woman when I was a teenager and just pulled it out of a storage box, where it has lived, since the day I drew it. I instantly fell in love with it, and found a great place to display it in my home. But, It needed another picture to go with it.




When I look at this drawing of the woman, I think of D&C 4:4 "For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrustest in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;"

So, I wanted to find a similar drawing of a man with a sickle reaping the fields. Well, I found a few on a great Van Gogh site and decided on this one, peasant with a sickle. Now that I am done drawing him, I don't like the results as much. It is a different kind of drawing than the woman picture. He is darker and there is more blending than the woman. Plus, I did mess up on his picture. I think I may eventually try to draw him again, and make him lighter and with rougher lines like the woman. Until than he gets to sit with the woman in my stairwell.


Here is the finished look in my stairwell. I have to add that it looks better in person!

4 comments:

DS at the well said...

Love them! They are SOOOO much better then J.R.'s pencil drawings IN the stairwell! so glad you are doing some creative things you like!

Unknown said...

You are wonderful, that is neat. It looks really great

Tiffany said...

I think they are great. It looks awesome with the vase. Good job. Come decorate my house now.

Julie B. said...

Wonderful drawings.You must be related to Kara.Love you guys.